I'm sorry I didn't get notes out last week. My son was sick; so, I stayed home to take care of him.
I'll start today mentioning a newcomer to #BigDOCC - Lt. Dan Shevenell from ThereNow.co. David recently left the U.S. Navy. I'd like to thank him for his service to our country. Welcome to BigDOCC. When Dan introduced himself, I couldn't believe my ears. Dan was a Navy "nuke" on an attack submarine based out of Hawaii. 20 years ago, I left Hawaii as another Navy nuclear Reactor Operator. What are the odds that two ex-nukes would be in the same room together talking entrepreneurship in Dallas? Crazy.
The meeting was packed today. Wow. We need a bigger venue! There were quite a few newcomers. I got down as many names and details as I could. If I missed someone or got the details wrong, please let me know on Twitter.
- Lindy Carnes : IT Management and Outsourcing
- ? - A former NFL player from Mobile Works Studio
- Robb Mapes - Internet Marketing, Custom Computer Software
- Steve Clayton - Here to learn about entrepreneurship
- Finn Simonson - Patent Lawyer and inventor. Looking to connect with people developing mobile applications for the education market. I couldn't find a link thanks to all the useless aggregator websites for major professions. Anyone else think Google and other search providers should block this garbage?
Examples : http://www.bing.com/search?q=finn+simpson+patent+attorney&form=APMCS1 and
- Kevin Kape - Live Global Stream
- Live Global Streaming is looking for developers
- There Now is looking for an application developer
- David Shaw from (Astropy?) is looking for an RF engineer.
- LaunchDFW has a FREE job board. If you are looking for work or looking for an employee, start here.
- If you're dying to work for a startup, checkout StartUp Hire
- Dallas New Tech : 4/1/2014 : free for the month of April. Come out and support me as I officially debut Kids In Touch
- Trail Blazers Capital is hosting a Restaurant and Retail tech event somewhere. Of course, I can't find anything on it. Hey Trailblazer, you might want to hire Robert Mapes (see above) to do some SEO work for you. Searching on your name is useless and there are no links on your website.
- Big Data BigD : 3/28 & 3/29
- Other events on LaunchDFW Event Calendar
- More events on Startup Digest
How did we miss talking about BitCoin today? This was a first. In fact, most of the conversation was about digital media. More on that in a bit.
Is Dallas a Mini Hub of Fashion Startups?
Aimee Bentson discussed how Victory Mountain Threads is using technology to create custom fitted women's clothing.
Third Love : Custom fitted women's intimates.
Straw poll showed about half of attendees would/do buy clothing online
Amazon might be launching a streaming video device to compete with Apple and Netflix. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/amazon-ship-video-streaming-device-232500553.html
Will Apple launch a "phablet"
Did Apple make a mistake in conceding the large phone market to Android?
Did Apple lose its soul when Steve Jobs died.
Does Apple's recent (since Steve returned) practice of just a few devices help or hinder them?
Bugs : Are all the recent iOS and Mac OS X bugs because of Steve Jobs death.
Haunted Empire : Apple is screwed without Steve?
Apple market cap : $472B, Exxon : $410B
Apple TV Refresh Coming?
Is Apple readying a third party API for Apple TV?
Is Chromecast the same as Apple TV?
Cord Cutter Nirvana :
Aereo &/or Leaf Antenna
Uber & Lyft : Is Regulation limiting consumer choice and just enforcing state approved monopolies?
Is the Movie Industry Doomed
This whole topic started with the new (and now defunct?) Popcorn Time a BitTorrent for the masses. Free videos all day every day! Links:
We discussed how "movies are too expensive". Does watching videos not purchased legally equate to "stealing"? Are content producers just too greedy? If a movie was released in the theaters and DVD/stream on the same day, would you pay $20 for the video at home or watch it in the theater? Even my own god-fearing chiropracter is excited that he can watch any movie for free anytime with his jailbroken iPhone and an app he downloaded.
Is Kevin Spacey right about video piracy?
Is there a new way to make movies that properly pays the content providers while letting consumers have access in a more affordable way:
Is Netflix using Big Data to determine what shows will be successful?
Is Amazon Prime's new Pilot Season the new way to determine what shows will be produced?
FYI : My computer crashed during this. I lost some of what I'd already written but am too lazy to do it again. Sorry!